Cold winter days call for soul warming food. And with the beautiful, yet cold, winter that we have been living since a few weeks now, I find myself craving warm dishes, that taste a lot like home.
This warm eggplant and capsicum salad is quite easy and straightforward to make. It is an excellent vegetarian choice and can be prepared in very little time.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
1 medium eggplant, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper
1 tbsp pinenuts
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil on a medium – large frying pan. Add the the chopped onion, and sauté for a few minutes till onion becomes soft then add garlic and sauté further for another couple of minutes, stirring often.
- Add the capsicum and sauté for a few minutes before adding the eggplant. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the eggplant till they have become soft and changed in colour.
- Remove the eggplant mixture from heat and pour into the serving bowel. Allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, return the pan to heat and roast the pine-nuts for a couple of minutes or till they have become golden brown. Set aside.
- Now, while the eggplant is still warm, add the sparsely, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Mix the salad and sprinkle with the roasted pine-nutes.
- This salad is best eaten warm but can as well be served at room temperature or cold. Enjoy!