I had created this decadent moist date dark chocolate cake some time ago and ever since have been meaning to share its recipe on the blog. So here it is today. I can assure you that this easy-to-make cake is here to impress. Wishing you a happy & relaxing baking!
150 g butter (about 1/2 cup + tbsp)
200 g dark chocolate
4 eggs, separated
50 g caster sugar (about 3 tbsp + 1 tsp)
50 g brown sugar (about 3 tbsp + 1 tsp)
1 tsp vanilla extract (about 5 ml)
50 g all-purpose flour (about 4 tbsp + 2 tsp)
100 g ground almonds (about 1/2 cup + 4 tbsp)
100 g dates, pitted and roughly chopped
4 dates, pitted and halved
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease and flour a 20-cm spring tin then cover the tin’s base with baking paper.
- In a heat-proof bowl placed over a small pan of simmering water, without the bowl actually touching the water, melt the the butter and chocolate. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl using hand held electric mixer. Beat till egg whites reach soft peaks. Add the sugar and continue beating till egg whites have become white and reach stiff peaks.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, brown sugar, vanilla, the flour, and the ground almond together before adding in the melted chocolate and butter. Add the chopped dates, and mix using a spatula.
- Gently fold in the egg whites and mix well with the batter just enough to get a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, till the cake’s surface becomes thin and cracked. Remove from oven and allow to cool a bit before removing from the spring tin and allow to cool completely on a cooling wire rack.
- Once tart has cooled completely, garnish it with the halved dates filled with almonds (optional).