The last few months of our life have been totally crazy; we moved homes, countries, and even continents; we left an extremely hot weather to live in an opposite extremely cold weather; we left everything we knew and set on a journey full of the unknown far from those closest and dearest to our hearts, into a world where we hardly knew anyone. All the changes, uncertainties, disappointments and emotional ups & downs that came along have been challenging and what has felt as the bravest thing we’ve ever done as a family with two kids felt at times as the craziest thing ever…
Our adventurous journey is still at the very beginning , but we have come a long way in learning how to embrace the little wonders and joys that our new life has to offer…after all, there is some foolishly romantic charm in not knowing where exactly you are heading…
And on this note, I’m hoping to be able to charm you with this simplest of all recipes; a beautiful dish that consists mainly of bulgur and chickpeas topped with a heavenly delicious قدحة – [qadha], which is coriander and garlic sautéed in olive oil, and served with some yummy goat yogurt (goat yogurt has a different yet particular taste to it, and I do believe that once given a chance, goat yogurt will become an all time favorite).
Bulgur & chickpeas:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup bulgur, washed
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
1/4 tsp ground cumin
salt & pepper, to taste
Coriander & garlic qadha:
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
about 1 cup goat yogurt, for serving
- In a medium cooking pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, and sautée for a few minutes till the onion starts to caramelise. Add the bulgur and stir for a couple of minutes before adding one cup of water.
- Lower the cooking heat and cover the pan with its lid allowing the bulgur to cook for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Once bulgur has cooked, add the chickpeas and cumin, stirring all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now, in a small frying pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the coriander leaves and garlic till the garlic starts to become golden. Remove from heat.
- Serve some of the cooked bulgur & chickpeas warm, topped with the coriander & garlic qadha along with some of the goat yogurt. Enjoy!