Smooth, rich and intense, chocolate is basically a beautiful & magical ingredient that turns everything into, well, chocolate! And for this mousse recipe, I combined milk and dark chocolate. But feel free to use either of the two chocolates on their own (I would recommend dark chocolate in this case), and indulge, diving into the smooth world of chocolate mousse!
Just keep in mind, that the mousse is best prepared one day ahead so it gets enough time to set and be ready for serving the day after.
1 tsp vegetarian gelatine
2 tbsp water
250 g mascarpone cheese
120 ml double cream
50 g caster sugar
1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
50 g milk chocolate
50 g dark chocolate
A handful of pistachio, roughly chopped
- Mix the two chocolates and melt them in a heatproof bowl over a double boiler. Leave aside.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the water in a small heatproof bowl. Stir the gelatine, then stand the bowl in a small pan of simmering water. Keep stirring till gelatine has dissolved completely. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese, sugar and vanilla using a hand held electronic mixer. Once mixture is smooth, beat in the double cream. Stir in the gelatine followed by the melted chocolate. Stir till mixture well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 – 6 small serving cups (I used small oriental tea glasses), then sprinkle with pistachio.
- Refrigerate over night and keep refrigerated till ready to serve.